Are you joining an animation course? Have you selected your favourite animation institutes? If your answer is “Yes” then this article is for you. Our experience of 5 years throughout India gets us mails every week on the issue of jobs after completing animation courses. What we find is that students having completed their course in animation haven’t got Job.
In this article we have tried and provided a list of common dos and don’ts for student perusing animation courses of their interest in any animation studio.
What a student should do:
- Are you really interested: While planning animation courses check if you really are interested in the entire program or just in a particular part of the course. Many a times it so happens that students take admission in a long duration animation courses but in between they lose interest in topics they don’t find interesting. It is thus very important to keep your interest alive all the while that you do any animation course.
- Meet the faculty: Physical infrastructure and a nice ambiance aren’t just the things to consider while taking admission in an institute. You should meet the faculty who would be teaching you the subjects. It is possible that in the very first meet you gauge things like communication skills, attitude and a proactive approach- key qualities of a good faculty.
- Check curriculum: Go through the course curriculum to check on the number of theory and practical sessions in your course. Any good animation course must have a right balance of theory and practical content.
- Ask for assignments: It is said that ‘practice makes a man perfect’ which holds true here as well. Do as many assignments and projects as you can get hold of to get a good grip of the subject.
- Homework is a must: Students who think attending classes at their animation institute suffices are wrong. One must do lots of practice at home as well to sharpen skills and enhance knowledge as animation courses are mostly skill based and require regular practice to clear concepts.
- Refer online resources: It is very important that during you animation course you refer other free or paid animation tutorials and videos available over the Internet. Remember your faculty is not the only master in this world of the subject; try gaining additional knowledge from other sources.
- Get feedback: Share and show your work/ projects with your peers, industry veterans and experts during your animation course to get feedback and improve upon it.
- Attend Events: You may get the opportunity to attend seminars, events and job fairs during your course tenure. Grab this golden opportunity and make new connections in the industry.
- Update yourself: It is very important to update yourself with the current demands of the industry during your animation course as it shall help you to face interviews.
- Professional Show reel: An animation course is incomplete without an impressive show-reel of your work. Take the help of your peers and teacher to create a good showreel.
What a student should not do:
- Don’t just sit quietly: Just attending classes and going home will not increase your knowledge; ask questions if you have doubts related to your animation course.
- Don’t waste time: Internet is a great source of information but can help kill useful time on things like social networking sites, movies and games. Invest your time wisely on the net so that you can gain maximum output and knowledge which will help you in your animation course.
- Don’t download things illegal or illegally: Students during their course in animation sometimes download illegal copies of software, plug-ins or tutorials which may seriously system damage your system due to hidden malwares or viruses.
- Hesitant to share: Sharing is the new mantra of the 21st century and you, the student should also be open to share your knowledge, tips and success with your peers.
- Don’t be late while attending classes: In most animation classes the first 15 minutes sets the tone for the lecture. Missing it you might find the entire session not making much sense to you. It is this advisable that till the time you are in your animation course, try and be punctual all the time.
These are some important do’s and don’ts if you want a successful career in the very first shot. VEDA College of animation in Pune always groom its students in these basics during their animation course so that they go on to become successful animation professional. Do check our course page to find the course that suits you needs. All the best!